Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am so happy to report that I have made my very first batch of homemade laundry detergent...and best of all...it only costs pennies per load to make!!! I found everything that I needed to make the detergent on the laundry aisle at Walmart - with the exception of the 5-gallon bucket. Here is a breakdown of the cost:
5 gallon bucket and lid - $4.14 (one-time expense)
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda - $3.24
20 Mule Team Borax - $3.38
Fels Naptha - $.97
Total Paid - $11.73 + tax
*Keep in mind, the supplies are all paid for, and there are many, many more uses of all of the items for future batches!*

Recipe:
2 gallon bucket with lid
1/3 bar Fel Naptha Laundry Soap
(Ivory soap can be substituted for the Fel Naptha...you can forego the shredding of the Ivory, and put right into the microwave)
1/2 c. 20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 c. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Essential Oil (if you prefer fragrance over a simple "fresh laundered" smell)

Step 1:
Grate 1/3 bar of Fel Naptha

Step 2:
Put a pot of 6 cups of water on the stove over low. Add the shredded soap until melted. Don't boil. Once the soap is melted, begin adding the remainder of your ingredients as follows.

Step 3:
Add 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax to the mixture.


Step 4:
Add 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda to the mixture.
Stir until dissolved. This mixture will thicken to a honey-like consistency. Once you've reached this state, remove from heat.

Step 5:
Pour 4 cups of HOT water into your bucket. Add the soap mixture to the hot water, and stir. If adding in essential oil, add a few drops to the mixture now. Once this step is done, add in 1 gallon of HOT water + 6 cups of HOT water to the mixture and stir well.


Step 6:
Stir well, cover and let sit overnight. You will need an immersion blender to stir it all up the next day prior to using.
This recipe filled my 5-gallon bucket halfway.
Use 1/2 cup per load = 64 loads.
I'll be doubling the recipe next time.

I never thought that I'd utter these words, but I can't wait to do my laundry tomorrow!!!!! :) I'm having a true pioneer woman moment.

1 comment:

  1. Amy! yay! Ive been using mine that Allen and I made since around November and it has done very well! It also cleans the commode really well!

    ReplyDelete