Monday, January 16, 2012

Baby Steps

Are you dominated by thoughts of food morning, noon and night? 
I shouldn't be, but I am.
I'll admit it with hands raised high in the air.
I am a food addict.

I was raised as a member of the "Clean Plate Club", and constantly heard about those less fortunate that would've loved to have the vegetable left on my plate that I refused to eat. I have raised my children - up until this point - by these same values, and it has to stop. Now.

The above picture made it's rounds all over Facebook during the Christmas season, and it doesn't just say volumes....it SCREAMS it's message. In our society, it's always about more. Having more, buying more, obtaining more and being more than everyone else. These little children are most likely dominated by thoughts of more, as well. More food, more shelter, more security and more peace. Such simple requests compared to what our society values as important. Unlike these babies, I have never gone to bed hungry. I have always had enough more than enough to eat. Regardless of my differences with these precious children, I'm sure that food rules their thoughts, too, but on a very, very different scale of importance.

This past week has been so hard, as Team Murphy has pledged to plow full steam ahead with healthier minds and bodies as our goal. We have made some big changes in the way we cook, the way we eat, the portions we eat, and we are working to change the way we look at food. Food should be something that we fuel our bodies with, not a covering to lie across feelings or emotions that seems to overwhelm up at times. I'll freely admit that I completely miss that bowl of ice cream before bed at night, but I'm not going to miss the fat that it has added to my body, and the guilt that has chiseled away at my self-esteem over the years.

I started off last Monday with a trip to the grocery store to restock my pantry with healthier options for all of us. I have been packing lunches for the children for school, and make sure to have a healthy snack waiting for them when they get home to tide them over to supper. So far, they are really enjoying the snacks. Normally, they'd come in and make a sandwich, or eat a bunch of junk, but that's not an option any longer. We're changing the way we look at food...one day at a time. Here is an example of a snack that I had ready on Wednesday when they got home from school...
Diced carrots, 2 tablespoons of low fat ranch dressing for dipping, 1 apple, and 1/2 banana. They each had a small glass of diet pepsi with their snack. This was a great way to fill them until supper at 175 calories. Now that we're a week in, the snacks aren't as large, because our bodies are adjusting to less food. Their favorite right now is a Nutri-Grain bar with grapes or 1/2 banana. I'm so incredibly proud of how well my children are adapting.

Now, for week one results!!!!!!  I am down 7.2 pounds!!!!!!  Both of the children lost weight, as well. All in all, we're off to a great start. There is a long journey ahead, but we're going to make it...and we're going to make it together.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you and your family. You are an awesome writer, you should think of writing a book about your journey.

    ReplyDelete