Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Outlook, New Me

2012.

Sometimes, it seems that life is flying right before me, and I can't catch up...can't catch my breath. I remember when I was younger, and my mama would say, "Just wait until you're out of school. Life will fly by in the blink of an eye." As a then-teenager, who was far too intelligent to believe anything that a parent said, I thought, "Sure it will." As it sometimes always turns out, Mama was right. She knew what she was talking about. I find it so hard to believe that this year is a year of such huge milestones for my family. Audy and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in September, our oldest will become a licensed driver, not to mention, a high school junior, and our youngest will start her last year of elementary school in the fall. Life is fleeting. Life is precious.

This morning's sermon on how precious each and every second of our lives are really drove home what I need to be my focus in 2012 . God gives me 86,400 seconds each and every day to live to my fullest potential. To enjoy His creation. To share His love with others. To be the wife, mother, daughter, sister, daughter-in-law, and aunt that my family deserves. This year, I fully intend not to worry about everything under the sun. I worry over things that are of no value. I worry over things that are completely out of my control. Our pastor taught this morning that we need to live in the present. I'm going to do just that! I'm going to LIVE.

With that in mind, there are NO resolutions for me this year...only goals that with God's help, I will reach - and surpass. Here are a few things that I am going to do to work on living in the moment a little more, and being less a stick in the mud uptight, in no certain order.

1. I'm 41. It's time to get the weight off once and for all and live a healthier life for not only me, but for my children, who are learning my bad habits.

2. I'm going to walk with my children for exercise once a day.

3. I'm going to be less "busy", and more attentive when my children want to share something from their day. I promise to really listen to them when they share with me, and not be thinking of things I could be doing in the back of my mind.

4. I'm going to live in the present, and not plan out every second of every day, and live by my schedule so much. As a business owner, that's not easy, but if I live by my schedule, and not in the moment, I'm missing out on the little things that will mean the most in the years to come.

5. I'm going to enjoy every single moment of love and marriage that I have been blessed with my best friend. My parents were given 19-1/2 years together before my daddy was called to Heaven. We have been married as long as they have at this point. I want to savor every joke, enjoy every hug, and cherish each loving glance at one another. I want to soak it all in.

6. I'm going to be more financially-minded. When we sit down to make out of a budget for the month, no more rationalizing that this one purchase won't hurt. If it's not a necessity, it won't be purchased.

7. I'm going to strive to be the child that GOD wants me to be in all areas.

8. I'm going to take a picture a day for the year, and journal about that day. I don't want to miss a second more of the life God has given me. I want to be able to look back on the bad days, and KNOW that I came through that because of God, and not anything that I may have said or done. I want to be able to look back on the good days, and remember each expression on the faces of those I love...remember each word spoken...and thank God for the good times.



9. I'm going to spend as much time with my family as possible. This past July, we came very close to losing my sister, when she was involved in a fatal car accident. Since that day, our family has drawn closer and closer. Even though that was a dark time, looking back from this side of it, I can see God's hand all over that day. There is a lesson to be learned from every incident that occurs in our lives, be it good or bad. What I took away from that day is that LIFE IS PRECIOUS. We aren't promised a tomorrow. We aren't promised another minute.

So, there are my realistic goals for 2012. Simply put....I plan to truly LIVE each and every moment as if it were my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment